Dr. Gordon has extensive experience in the areas of entrepreneurship, education, public speaking, and science. He holds a PhD in Chemistry from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a BS from Worcester Polytechnic Institute. For the past ten years, he has been teaching entrepreneurship as an Adjunct Professor at Babson College and for the past five years at the Harvard Extension School. After twelve years in research, development, and management at Polaroid Corporation and Celanese Plastics Company, Dr. Gordon pursued a career in entrepreneurship and founded four companies: a plastics injection molding company a company which made products for the control of static electricity (Plastic Systems, Inc) a network for entrepreneurs and investors (the Venture-Preneurs Network) and a private investment and consulting firm (Quantum Ventures). He is currently developing the internet venture AngelDeals.com, a virtual global network for the business community: entrepreneurs seeking funding and growth, investors seeking deal flow, business professionals seeking visibility, and both employers and job seekers.
- Corporate Entrepreneurial Strategies, DBA & Ph.D. Programs
Doctor of Philosophy, Ph.D., in Organo-metallics and Polymers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1966
Bachelor of Science, B.S., in Organic Chemistry, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
AngelDeals.com, VenturePreneurs.Com and the Venture-PreneursTMNetwork, 1994 – present
Founder and CEO; virtual ‘connection engine’ for entrepreneurs seeking funding and growth and investors seeking quality deal flow.
Plastic Systems, Inc, 1979 – 1993
Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer; Plastic Systems, Inc. is a manufacturer and international marketer of industrial products for the control of static electricity, sold to a public British company, Tace, PLC.
Quantum Ventures, 1987 – present
President, prívate venture investment and management consulting firm
Center For Competitive Success, 1987 – present
Founder and President of strategic management consulting firm for CEOs seeking funding, growth, global competitive advantage and corporate revitalization.
Polaroid Corp., 1970 – 1979
Senior management, Research, Plastics and Engineering Development
Babson College, Center for Entrepreneurship, Babson Park, MA, 1991 – present
Adjunct Professor/Lecturer, Global Executive Education Programs, MBA and undergraduate
Harvard University Extension School, Cambridge, MA, 1997 – present
Adjunct Lecturer, Entrepreneurship
International School of Management, Paris, France, 2003 – present
Faculty Member, DBA & Ph.D. Programs; Editorial Review Board Member for the International School of Management’s publication
Universidad Adolfo Ibanez, Chile, 2000
Yonok College, Thailand, 1999
- Book entitled: Trump University “Entrepreneurship 101: How to Turn Your Idea Into a Money Machine,” 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010. Versions in Chinese, Polish and Bulgarian
- “Gordon’s CUSTOMER Model: Framework for the nine entrepreneurial thriving forces.” 2000
- Case Study: "Plastechnology, Inc." This case deals with the anguish faced by two entrepreneurs as they try to decide whether to, and how to launch a new plastics manufacturing venture. 2008
- Case Study: " Polaroid: Who and what killed this magnificent company?" This multi-dimensional case examines Polaroid's corporate entrepreneurial strategies (and lack thereof) over its glorious and turbulent 65- year lifetime. The issues encompass leadership, succession of CEOs, corporate vision, segmentation, corporate culture, product entry decisions, the Value Chain and many other broad strategic questions. The case is resolved in a strategy simulation by student teams: How could Polaroid have been saved?, 2009
- Case Study: “Worcester Beef Company,” a complex three generation, two-family business case with issues of leadership, management succession, sustainable competitive advantages, strategy, family rivalry, estate negotiation after the death of the partner. 2010
- Case Study: Ocean Spray: House of cards …? 2010
- Sam Walton’s WalMart: Nemesis …? 2010
- Case Study: “UPS – 100 Years of Continuous Entrepreneurial Transformation,” 2009
- Case Study: “New York Cheek – Cracks in Paradise;” a troubled upstart clothing company, 2010.
- "How to Raise Capital at Venture Breakfasts", Mass High Tech, 1998.
- "Give Yourself a Raise", Success magazine, 1998.
- "Static Protective garments," with Plastic Systems, Inc. 1992
- "Adjustable Static Control Wrist Strap," with Plastic Systems, Inc. 1991
- "Static Control Heel Grounding Device," with Plastic Systems, Inc. 1990
- "Photo-identification Pouches," with Polaroid Corp. 1975
- "Nucleating Agents for Crystalline Polymers," with Celanese Corporation, 1969
- “A New Method of Dihalocarbene Generation Based on the Trihalomethyl-Metal Compounds.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 87, 681 (1965).
- “The Insertion of Halocarbenes into the Mercury-Halogen Bond.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 88, 1831 (1966).
- Ph. D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, “Some Reactions of Halomethyl Mercurials,” 1966
- “Halomethyl-Metal Compounds. XII The Action of Sodium Iodide on Phenyl(trihalomethyl)mercury Compounds. A New Method of Dihalocarbene Generation.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 89, 959 (1967).
- “Halomethy-Metal Compounds. XI The Reaction of Phenyl(trihalomethyl)mercury Compounds with Tertiary Amines.” J. Org. Chem., 32 469 (1967).
- “Liquid Lasers.” Army Science Conference (1968).
- “Halomethyl-Metal Compounds. XVII Insertion of Halocarbenes into the Mercury-Halogen Bond.” J. Org. Chem., 14, 43 – 51 (1968). This was a very significant discovery. The reaction had broader applications for chemical synthesis and spawned many other publications from our labs.
- “Development of the Polaroid SX-70 Camera Body.” Am. Soc. Of Electroplated Plastics (1974).
- “The Pedagogy of Entrepreneurial Teaching,” SENAC in Brazil, 3-day immersion, 2010
- “Start, Grow, Transform Your Business,” ENDEAVOR and Fundacao Getulio Vargas, Brazil 2010
- “Entrepreneurial Transformation in Agri-business,” University of Ulster, at Babson, 4-day immersion,2008, 2009
- “Entrepreneurial Leadership,” Harvard University Extension School semester programs, 2008, 2009, 2010
- “Entrepreneurship, Growth, Transformation.” Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico, 5-day immersion 2008
- “Entrepreneurship Master Class,” Harvard University Extension School semester program, 2008
- “Entrepreneurial Transformation,” ESADE Spain at (Babson College) 5-day immersion 2008
- “Corporate Entrepreneurship, Competitive Strategies and Negotiation,” Tsinghua ZhuoYue CEO Training, 2006
- “Living the Entrepreneurial Experience, “UK NETS (Babson College), 9-day immersion programs, 2004 – 2007
- “Corporate Entrepreneurship for Competitive Advantage,” El Salvador/Guatemala, 6-day Exec. Ed. program, 2004
- "Corporate Entrepreneurship for Competitive Advantage," JIBS Executive. Business School, Sweden, 2003.
- "Corporate Entrepreneurship for Competitive Advantage," ISM, Paris, France, 2001 - 2009. 3-day MBA/DBA
- “Corporate Entrepreneurship,” ITESM, Tec de Monterrey, Mexico (four-day program) 2003, MBA
- “Entrepreneurship and New Ventures,” Universidad del Desarrollo, Chile (at Babson 2002), MBA
- “Corporate Entrepreneurship for Competitive Advantage,” Univ. Argentina de la Empresa, 5-days, 2001, MBA
- "Starting and Growing the Emerging Venture," Universidad Adolfo Ibanez, Chile (six-day program), 2000, MBA,
- "Launching the New Venture" and "Corporate Entrepreneurial Strategy," ESCP, 2000, France, MBA lectura
- "Starting, Growing Emerging Ventures" and "Corporate Entrepreneurial Strategy, “ Yonok College, Thailand, 1999
- " E-Commerce Ventures: Establishing Differential Advantage," COTIM 1999, Rhode Island. (Telecom and Info)
- "Business Angel Networks in the USA," pro Ruhrgebiet Conf. on Private Equity, Germany 1999.
- "Competitive Advantage," a panel discussion; Society for Competitive Advantage at Babson, 1997.
- "Creating Excitement in the Classroom," Price Babson SEE Conf. for Educators and Entrepreneurs, 1996
- "Angel Financing," INC. Conference, Boston, Massachusetts 1996.
- "Personal Entrepreneurial Power," Price Babson Conf. for Educators and Entrepreneurs, 1995.
- Recipient of the 2009 Teaching Excellence Award for the International Region from the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs ( ACBSP)
Served on the Board of Directors for NFTE (National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship to inner-city youth), New England, 1995 - 1997. Directorships in early-stage ventures.