The ISM Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program is designed for two types of candidates: experienced business executives who would like “to give something back” and assist in the development of future business leaders by becoming effective educators; and innovative teachers and/or researchers determined to make an impact by contributing to the body of knowledge in their chosen disciplines.
Our program emphasizes an understanding of management as it is practiced and interpreted across organizations, sectors, and cultures. Each candidate develops the research and teaching skills to generate and encourage new perspectives on management practice. Our faculty members, who have earned worldwide recognition for their applied research, are the school's major resource for doctoral education. Their commitment to advancing management knowledge through both theoretical and applied research, and to improving the quality of teaching, enables faculty members to effectively mentor doctoral students, who form part of the intellectual capital of the School.
- Educational Background - Hold a bachelors degree or equivalent from an accredited undergraduate institution and completion of a masters level program
- Work Experience - Average of ten years of senior management experience
- Languages - A strong grasp of written and spoken English is compulsory
Over a four to seven year period each candidate must accumulate a total of 68 credits. Those candidates admitted to the program without a DBA or equivalent must complete 18.5 credits of DBA seminar coursework.
- Completion of 18.5 DBA coursework credits (applicable for those without a DBA degree or equivalent)
- Completion of 6.5 PhD coursework credits in research methods
- Validation of the teaching requirement: conception and execution of one university-level course (10 credits)
- Completion of Case Study Analyses I & II (3.0 credits)
- Successful completion of a doctoral dissertation under the close supervision of an assigned Director of Research (30 credits)
- Specialization in Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Specialization in Finance
- Specialization in Higher Education